Monday, June 25, 2007

Vacation: Father's Day 6/17/07 - the 1880 Train




We wanted to catch the 10am train that departs from Hill City, but it was sold out, and the next train at 1:15pm had a few seats left. Thus, we ended up spending a couple hours wandering around the shops in Hill City. Kiera and Nikki each got a new pair of Keen sandals - meaning that our entire family (with exception of 6 mo. old Ava) now have Keens. (I'll write about that later.) We also stopped to get a bite for lunch at a local cafe. The food wasn't exceptional by any means, but they had an all-you-can-eat buffet for only $5 if you were a dad. I wasn't that hungry, but since a hot dog was the only item less than $5, I went ahead and did it anyway. One trip was plenty for me.

The 1880 Train was both Karsten and Kiera's highlight of the trip. It's an old, turn-of-the-century train that runs the rails between Hill City and Keystone, SD (approx. 10 miles). It wasn't a dramatic experience, but a nostalgic experience nonetheless.

Somehow amidst everything...I never managed to take a picture of the actual TRAIN itself. I'll have to check Nikki's camera if she had enough forsight...

You can also click here for more information (and pictures) on the 1880 Train website

1 comment:

AJH said...

Glad you had a good trip, wish we could have seen you though! My Ma even said you went through Spearfish Canyon...that is practically in our back yard. Oh well, I'll try not to hold it against you!