Saturday, April 14, 2007

One of my Greatest Passions: Arsenal




I posted earlier this week that I'm not a football fan. I should qualify that statement and say that I'm not an AMERICAN football fan. It seems ironic that we American refer to "football" as the game which requires little use of the feet more than any other pro sport (baseball, basketball, tennis, etc.). The name "soccer" seems odd and stupid for a game that requires extensive skill and use with one's feet, but I digress...

When it comes to proper "football" I love the Arsenal Gunners. I discovered them back in the late 80's when my brother and I found a soccer video tape called "Goals Galore" that had the best goals from several English football seasons. Keep in mind that back then, this was a RARE find - "soccer" wasn't popular here in the US, and it was virtually impossible to watch/see and decent match highlights. There's a saying amongst world "football" supporters that you don't pick a team [to support], but eventually a team finds you. My brother and I watched Goals Galore repeatedly, and I fell in love with Arsenal through that video. I thank God every morning he didn't allow me to become a supporter for Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, or Tottenham. :-) These teams were features prominently on Goals Galore, but Arsenal just seemed to be "the one." Although it's been at least 10 years since I've seen that video, I still remember the highlights of past Arsenal greats like Paul Merson, Nigel Winterburn, and David Rocastle.

While it's difficult to explain why I like Arsenal, there are a few reasons that have developed over the years to hopefully shed some insight to newbies.
1. Arsenal's philosophy for talent. Think of Arsenal as similar to the recent/current Minnesota Twins teams. The Twins - Despite having a modest payroll, and spending far less than most teams - they still manage to field a competitive, team nearly every season. The same can be said for Arsenal. While other teams like Manchester United, Chelsea, and Liverpool spend far more on their players, Arsenal wins as many or more accolades as larger-spending clubs. Arsenal's successes, like the Twins, are due mostly to scouting and acquiring young talents and successfully developing them at a fraction of the cost than what they would pay for top free agents. They don't buy success, the earn success.
2. Arsenal's style of play: To many Americans, "soccer" is boring. While I disagree with this general assessment, this certainly can't be said for Arsenal. They play an attractive, attacking style with lots of movement, quick passing, and possession. Many teams will often position most players behind the ball in defense, but Arsenal rarely deploys such a plodding method to get a result.
3. Arsenal's tact. In a game filled with flashy personalities and marketing, it's often the case that whoever shouts the loudest gets the most attention. This is not the case with my club. To be sure, Arsenal has it's share of notoriety, but the club doesn't employ the flamboyancy that is common amongst most other clubs of their caliber.

Above are a few pictures: the Arsenal crest, and a few pictures of their new stadium. One day, I WILL go to match there to see my club play.

1 comment:

Benjamin said...

comparing to the Twins certainly helps me see better why you're drawn to the team. excellent