Thursday, January 31, 2008

Work Rides: Volvo S60



One of the nice things I already said I like about renting from National Car Rental is that you get to pick the car you want. I'm no longer stuck at the mercy of whatever the rental agent feels like giving me. There's an aisle filled with cars. I pick out a vehicle. Then I get to drive it at our low corporate rate.


I was a little surprised when St. Louis had a Volvo S60 in the Emerald Executive aisle there for the taking. The reasons seemed obvious: #1 Volvos aren't usually seen in rental car lots, and #2 - one would think someone would have already jumped on the chance to drive this.


I have to say that the Volvo S60 is hands down the best rental car I've ever driven. In fact, it might be the best car I've ever driven in my lifetime. (that's probably more pathetic than surprising, so spare me your insults...)


Seriously, this was a great car. The 2.5T trim I had included (heated!!!!) leather seats, and a moon roof (it's cold outside, so who cares...). Otherwise, there weren't many other features of note. That said, the car had a solid feel, and I felt absolutely safe thanks to Volvo's stellar safety ratings. The interior and dashboard were nicely appointed and had a sleek, yet understated European feel. The engine was peppy and ready to accelerate quickly when needed. The interior was quiet, and road and engine noises were minimal.


So as scary as it is to say this, I really can't think of any reason why I wouldn't want to own this car. Oh wait, it starts at $30,885. There's one... (but if I can find one at a lower price, then I'll seriously consider one...)


2 comments:

Johnny Roosh said...

Plus if you get one, you can take pride in buying an American car!

Johnny Roosh said...

Dude, have you been driving this car for three weeks?