Monday, August 20, 2007

Trip to Indy: the Cause of it All


Our trip to Indy would likely not have happened were it not for this: an Aquatic Infinity VII Whirlpool tub my wife bought on eBay for our basement remodel.

See, I lived in Indianapolis for 12 years - from 2 days before starting first grade in August 1981 until leaving for college in August 1993. My dad transferred to Chicago at that time, so Indy was never home in a literal sense again.

I went back to Indy for my old manufacturing job during the summer of 1994, but didn't get to see many of my high school friends over the 10 weeks or so I was there.

Since then, I've only been back to Indy for a day trip since our old church held a wedding shower for Nikki. My dad and I drove around for a couple hours during the shower, but never managed to see anyone. That was 11 years ago.

Since then, I haven't talked to anybody that I graduated with until Nikki won this tub on eBay, and I called one of my good friends, Jason, who is a chiropractor in a Northern suburb. All it took was a phone call explaining when we were planning to come through, and Jason took care of the rest and set up an impromptu reunion or sorts.

My only regret is that I would have made that phone call so many years earlier.

No comments: