Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Places Work Takes Me: St. Louis



I've been covering St. Louis for 15 months now. In that time, I've never been downtown. I've never even been CLOSE to downtown.


"Why?" you ask?


Frankly, I have no idea. The most logical reason is that St. Louis has the highest violent crime rate over any city in the country. (Detroit seconds the list). Yet, downtown doesn't seem to have the problems. When one crosses the Mississippi River and goes to EAST St. Louis (which is in Illinois), then the crime rate shoots up dramatically. But since I don't cross the Mississippi River, I should still be relatively safe going downtown.


So the best answers I have is that I've never had a reason to go downtown, and it's too far out of the way for me to go down there (since I usually stay in the Western suburbs about as far away from downtown as you can get.)


The ironic thing is that I didn't go to the Arch - which necessitates at least another trip downtown at somepoint in the future.


My reason for going downtown was for a Rams-Chiefs preseason NFL football game. Mat and I were running late due to traffic, so I only had time to snap a few pics while driving.


I'll write more about the Western suburbs another time...

No comments: