Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Labor Day at MN State Fair

We made our annual trek to the MN State Fair. (When I say "we," I really mean just "me" since Nikki and the kids usually go a couple other days as well.)

For those who don't know the MN State Fair, it usually averages ~2 million fairgoers over 10 days each year and concludes on Labor Day. Crazy stuff. Usually, the fair is an excuse to spend 10x more on food than you would at any fast food restaurant, but that food has 10x the normal (high) fat content. Perhaps the extra cost is mostly due to the expense and labor of putting the food on a stick. Ironically, there are no pictures of us eating any food at the fair this year. Perhaps - that's a good thing...

What makes the state fair such a draw? Frankly I don't know. It costs our family over $20 just to get in. We spend $30-60 a day on unhealthy food (usually bringing our own drinks to cut down on costs). We walk around aimlessly looking a farm implements, wandering through smelly livestock barns, and trying not to navigate around animal dropping, massive strollers, or people who are paying more attention to the food they are eating food on a stick while wandering the fair than walking itself. Yet, the time goes by quickly and you never feel like you've seen enough and want to go back again to catch what was missed.

So without further adieu', I give you a brief tour of our day at the fair


This is one of the few things NOT on a stick at the fair. The intersting thing about this cow is that the owner lives 2 doors from Nikki's parent's house. This cow is literally parked on the street as I type (I think). With tetes like that, I'm sure it's a great milk producer.

These two pictures above are of a modern Paul Bunyan. This guy cuts up logs into sculptures. I'm really not sure what this one was supposed to be, but my best guess is a fox or raccoon (most likely). This guy was promoting Stihl tools - evidence that just about everything has a sponsor nowadays - even at the fair.


Here's a couple pictures of us on the Kidway. (that's the Kid's version of the Midway at the MN State Fair for those who don't know).



Pictures of the kids in the poultry barn.


We took a break in a shaded area for a little while. This was one of those guys that's acts like a statue until you walk buy. He was walking to the dressing room after his shift was over - freaked the kids out...


This is our new stroller that we took to the fair. It works great. Strollers are a VERY big thing at the MN state fair. Strollers are as essential to take to the fair as taking a ball glove to the ball park when you have seats in the outfield. Many people like to "pimp" their cars and trucks to show off to everyone else. At the MN State Fair, people like to show off their strollers and how big strollers can be. I think I saw a stroller that could sleep a family of 4. Pretty huge.

Our stroller is relatively modest in size. Nikki got a good deal on it via ebay (I think - I just know she got a could deal on it), and apparently this is mega-pimped out as far as stollers go. For starters, there's the pink color - which is apparently very customized - much like an airbrush paintjob on a hot rod. It grabs attention. Then there's the optional/detachable seat in front that allows you to push TWO children in a stroller that would normally seat only one child. Finish the stroller off with dual beverage holders and zippered pouch on the handlebars - you've got one tricked out ride.

With the extra seat on the front, this stroller is still relatively easy to push UNLESS you need to turn or go up a curb. To help Nikki out, I offered to push the stroller most of the day. Yep - the man was pushing a pink stroller around hundreds of thousands of people - in PUBLIC. And you know what??? I was treated like a demi-GOD. I kid you not. I had mothers coming up to me asking where we had got it, what brand it was (I still have no idea), and wondering how we liked it. Our stroller was so popular I had to turn away photo opps and autographs from envious mothers and fathers just so we could see everything else we wanted to see.

Yep - it was a great (and typical) day that could only happen at the MN State Fair.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

We missed The Fair this year for the first time since James and I met (something like 12 years). Just couldn't bring ourselves to do it with everything else we have going on. In a way it's kinda nice because the pressure's off of that tradition. But in a way it's a little bit sad. :( Thanks for taking me with you on the blog.

Jodi said...

PS - I forgot to mention our pimped-out ride. My mother-in-law bought this for my kids at the Fair one year (please, please don't look at the price). It's your basic SUV/ATV-type kiddie wagon. Ours has cushions and backrests. You should see the envious looks thrown at us from men all over the fairgrounds when we're hauling that thing.

Jodi said...

OK, last comment.

I noticed the link didn't work. Just search for "Cartwheels USA" at the Wagon Depot website that pulls up from my link.

Today is enough to make me start drinking coffee.