Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Tribute to Kevin Garnett


I frankly don't know where to begin on this. There are so many thoughts going through my mind right now over the official news that Kevin Garnett is no longer a member of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

As a lifelong sports fan, there are inevitably some athletes that will be all time favorites. My short list would include: Kirby Puckett, Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp (soccer players), and Kevin Garnett.

As I reflect on Garnett, he is without a doubt my favorite athlete ever. Here's a sampling of the reasons:
* Kevin Garnett made me a Timberwolves fan. Growing up, I cheered for the Indiana Pacers - who were a perennially lousy team. When I went off to college in fall of '93, the Pacers had their first good season and made it to the Eastern Conference finals against the Knicks (a series that had the best performance I've ever watched: Reggie Miller's 25 points in the 4th quarter of game 5). The Pacers continued to do well for the next several seasons, but then the Timberwolves drafted a kid out of high school with the #5 draft pick in 1995 (a VERY rare occurrence back then) named Kevin Garnett. I still cheered for the Pacers, but all my friends in MN (since that's the state I attended college) really took to the guy. I was skeptical at first, but it didn't take long to draw me in as a fan of the T-Wolves AND a fan of Kevin Garnett.
* Any success the Wolves have had is a direct result of KG. They had no history before he came, and he made them a perennial playoff team most of his time in MN.
* KG is a TALENTED, FREAK of NATURE. The man is at least 7' tall, runs like a gazelle, and can leap out of the gym. Never before has there been a player with Garnett's size and quickness put together. During his time here, he would regularly guard the opposing team's best player - even if that meant the small, agile point guard. KG could guard any of them. In short, he is the finest athlete I've ever witnessed.
* KG is LOYAL. It's very clear the Garnett didn't want to leave MN. News reports today are indicating that. KG made a connection with the people of MN, and I truly believe KG wanted to make MN his home. Not many pro atheletes would do that.
* KG ALWAYS played HARD. I've watched KG play more than any other athlete in my lifetime. When I attend live games, I make a point to watch Garnett at all times. He never quits. Even when the ref blows a foul, and the player from the opposing team shoots, Garnett will still try to block it. This annoys some, but I love it. Even over the last couple seasons when the Wolves were a crappy team, Garnett never tanked or lowered his intensity.

One of my biggest regrets about KG leaving is that Karsten won't be able to watch him as much anymore. We loved going to Wolves games together, and Karsten loved KG too (especially since they share the same initials). Hopefully, Karsten will still have opportunities to watch KG play again with me, and I'll be sure to point out how hard KG plays, and how he plays the right way.

I shall also miss Garnett's pregame ritual at Target Center. Shaking the talcum power on the scoring table was the first step. Garnett was always the last players to step on the court for tip-off. He shook hands with every opposing team member before walking to the center circle to go for the jump ball. It was all as if he was a king and everyone was in his court at his request.

Garnett's leaving MN is bittersweet. It pains me to say this as a fan, but it's the right thing for the Wolves right now. Garnett is the highest paid player in basketball - and he deserves every penny of it since I think he's the best all-around player in the NBA. But unfortunately this also meant that the T-Wolves had severe salary cap restrictions since ~40% of their payroll went to one player. Garnett's departure means that the Wolves will finally have some flexibility to get new players and rebuild. I would love to see Garnett say, but I also want to see the Wolves win and compete - and it was clear that Garnett wasn't going to be able to make that happen on his own in MN. Hopefully he gets a championship for another team....

To Kevin: I doubt you'll ever read this, but if you do - I just want to say a heartfelt "thank you." You exemplified everything I believe a pro athlete should be: a prominent and highly regarded role model both on and off the court. You play the game the right way, and I will always be your fan. Don't ever let up. I'm saddened you are gone, but I'm already looking to purchase tickets to the Celtics game at Target Center this upcoming season. You are one of the greatest players to ever play the game, and I count it a privilege to have been able to watch you over the last 12 years. You can be assured that I will watch as many Celts games that I can this coming season, and I'll check the box score to see how you're doing every morning.

You will be missed - but always loved.
Aaron

No comments: