Monday, July 23, 2007

Thoughts on XM and Sirius Satellite Radio Merger

I've already admitted I'm a recovering gadget freak, but I may find myself in a relapse soon.

I've used both XM and Sirius Satellite Radio services in the past, and really like the idea since I travel a lot and quality radio coverage is often pretty bad - and the idea of having every station available anywhere in the USA is appealing as well. I ended up cancelling Sirius (in my opinion, the far better of the two) since I found myself paying the $13 a month for the service, along with many other "small fees" for other gadget-related services. These were really digging into my monthly expenses, and had to go...

As part of the proposed merger of the two companies, (a business move that has local radio stations are trying to have the government block) they are talking of being able to pick your own a la carte' stations - up to 50 - and pay only $6.99/month. Seeing how either service goes for $13/month each, and since I only listen to 5-6 channels regularly, that's a great deal.

Here's to hoping this deal goes through...

source: Gizmodo

No comments: