Friday, December 7, 2007

Feeling a Little Trashy...

Most of my readers know that I use Hotmail for my personal email account. Overall, it's a great (and free) web-based email service. I've used Hotmail for over 11 years, and apparently use it often enough that they asked me to be a beta tester for their current version (called Windows Live Mail) a couple years ago. So relatively speaking, I'm in their pretty good graces.

I'm starting to wonder though...

Today I sent a quick email to a friend from church, and had the following message to confirm my email was sent. Normally, I don't look at ads, but I'm a geek and saw the phone in the ad at the bottom. Then I read the message and wasn't sure whether to be insulted or laugh. See for yourselves... [I added a red box around the main element.]



Yes, apparently, I'm a "Ho" since I use the "Homail" service. Perhaps this is a growing trend to create services around specific lifestyles, but I'm not sure why "the oldest profession" needs any special email services different from anyone else's.

The additional irony is that the ad talks about "get[ting] cozy."

My current theory is that Hotmail might have retained radio shock jock Don Imus' services during his off-the-air stint resulting from him his calling women from the Rutgers women's basketball team "Nappy headed ho's".

Certainly, we can't attribute this to a simple spell check problem... :-)

5 comments:

Johnny Roosh said...

Mine says I'm a homo. Another service says I'm a flappy bird. Take your pick I guess!

Merry Christmas!

Jodi said...

Or it could just be a sign that you should do the smart thing and switch to gmail.

Aaron APC said...

@jroosh - About time you came out of the closet! I suspected you were a homosexual flappy bird - but was reluctant to ask. :-) btw: which services are talking referring to?

@jodi - I doubt I'll never switch to gmail. It makes me really uncomfortable when an email provider (ie. gmail) reads your emails and sends you targeted ads based on the what your emails are about. What else are they doing with it? I'd rather not take the chance. Besides, most reviews rate Yahoo! and Hotmail as the 2 best web-base free email services. Furthermore, as a thanks Hotmail gives me 5GB of storage - about the same as gmail does. So why go through the hassle of switching accounts/services?

Kenzie said...

Happy Birthday yesterday, Aaron! Hopefully you can just take a shower and get on with the blogging :) We need some pictures of the kids at Christmas!
-Natasha

AJH said...

Have missed your blogging!